1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Thursday, July 7, 2011

75 Schwinn Continental: Some Great Riding, And An Old Lesson Re-Learned...

...the hard way.

First, I got a good ride in with my wife on the 4th of July along the Prairie Path. I'd say about fifteen miles round-trip for me, eight for her.

Then yesterday I rode my bike to the gym and did 45 minutes working out on all the upper-body machines, then rode home.

Today, I put in 30 miles round-trip alone. I rode from Butterfield & Meyers in Oak Brook to Main and Liberty in Wheaton, then back. It was on the way home that I re-learned an old lesson.

The bolt and standoff that go across the bottom of the front deraillure was missing. I hit a hard bump at high speed, and the chain bounced enough to catch the lower ends of the deraillure, yank it forward, and thoroughly mangle it.

The last time that happened, I was 15, and getting a new one was only a matter of money. Now, the bike is 36 years old.

Sigh. Help me, Ebay Kenobi!

Ride on,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment