1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Thursday, July 10, 2014

New Sun-Ringle CR-18 Polished-Alloy 27" x 1&1/4" Rims On Big Blue

First, Sun-Ringle's page for these rims:


These rims are a highly-polished modern alloy design that look as close as possible to the original steel-and-chrome Schwinn rims. They have a modern bead seal and will support the 90 psi modern tires run. The old Schwinn rims could barely take 65 psi before losing the sidewall seal and letting the tube out - with a very gunshot-like BANG!

I will of course carry a spare tube and pump, but I feel a LOT more secure when riding after the SEVEN flats I had last year.

Bicycles, Etc of Lisle, Illinois was happy to spoke these rims onto the original Schwinn hubs for me, which means that the bike really holds its classic aesthetic. They were the ones who found these in 27 x 1&1/4 for me. I was going to go with Velo Orange Raid rims at 700cc, but this option lets me keep the original ride and brake geometry at half the price. Kudos to Bicycles, Etc!!

They also found the source of all the front end noise that was nerving me out: a bent front axle. They were able to find a straight new axle to fit the original Schwinn hub. The front end is now much more solid.

I dropped off my '72 Continental (Lightning Bug) for the same treatment when I picked up Big Blue this morning.

The rims were about $150 for a set of four 36-spoke rims. Labor and parts including the axle was $217.82.  I'm expecting around $200 for Lightning Bug to complete the job.

Bicycles, Etc can be reached at:



6460 College Road,
Lisle, IL
60532 - USA

630-369-2453

(They also have a location in Naperville, IL, but I have been working with the Lisle, IL location - and Country House Restaurant is located right next to them for a fantastic lunch!)

Ride On,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment