1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Sunday, April 17, 2011

'75 Continental: I Just Got The Original Rear Wheel Rebuilt...

...and back on the bike.

Mechanically it's now sound. I had the work done at Bicycles, Etc. On College Avenue in Lisle, Illinois. They replaced for spokes, six spoke nuts, the rubber ribbon that lines the inside of the rim, the hub bearings, and they aligned the wheel. (Proper spoke tensioning.)

As you can see, however, there's a good bit of rust on the chrome, and the bike shop doesn't do that sort of detailing.

In order to clean the rust off, (which needs to be done all over the bike) I stopped at Ace Hardware and got some grade 0000 super-fine steel wool, and a pair of leather-palm canvas garden gloves.

Once I'm done with the elbow grease, I have some metal polish (I'll come back with brand information later) that I bought at Walgreen's awhile back. Of course, I'll test this on a small area first, to make sure it doesn't ruin the finish.

There are so many small, detailed areas to clean, I expect this will take several weeks working on a bit at a time. Cloudy and cool days where riding would be unpleasant come to mind.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ride on,

Dan



No comments:

Post a Comment