1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Monday, April 18, 2011

'75 Continental: Letter To The Editor Of Bicycle Times Magazine...

...that I wrote last night after reading their article on the Schwinn Varsity:


"Jeff Archer Schwinn Varsity Article, Page 24, Issue 010, April 2011

 

Dear Karen,

This is the second issue of Bicycle Times I'm reading. (Enjoyed the folding bike article last month.) I like BT for it's cultural perspective.

I fit Jeff's profile to a T. Born in '62, bought a 1975 Varsity brand new with money from delivering newspapers, would've bought the Continental if I'd had another $30.00. My oldest friend (a month younger than me) bought one too, and we rode all over town on them for several years. Mine was stolen in Madison, WI in 1978. Still haven't forgiven the thief.

I found a 1975 Continental all beat up in the basement of a Schwinn shop in Joliet, IL a few years ago. I'm slowly restoring the Continental, and blogging it at http://1975continental.blogspot.com .

Thank you for recognizing an under-appreciated classic. I feel 13 again everh time I get on mine and ride...well, almost. The joy is still there. I still ride with my friend in the Summer, too.

Keep up the great work, and please thank Jeff Archer for me.

Sincerely,

Dan Stafford
Oak Brook, IL"



You can find Bicycle Times online at http://www.bicycletimesmag.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment