1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sweet Little Lightning Bug...

Sweet Little Lightning Bug...

4c626a6148337c986f468e02af7ee2ab4dd9333a

Shiny and nimble and fast,
That's what $60.00 and some elbow grease can get you,
Twelve hours with some four-aught steel wool makes fools,
Fools like those who thought "Old, dirty, and dingy."

It's all in the details,
In knowing what's underneath that thin patina of age,
Vintage 1972 and she's still a stunner today,
My sweet little Lightning Bug,
She gleams and glows and rolls like a dream;
I dream of the big city at night,
Modern LED's to go with the generator light,
Show off some real steel and chrome,
Green that is,
Green gold,
Chicago steel,
Help save the planet a little.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C) 06/13/2013

*Note: 1972 Schwinn Continental, mens' 24" frame, bought for $60.00 + tax, cleaned up sweet. I'm adding a rear rack that I'll paint fluorescent orange, and I've got a brand new orange milk crate to put on the rack. I found a source for battery-powered LED black lights online, I'm going to put two of them under the milk crate and strobe them on the bottom of the fluorescent orange rack, so that the glow blinks on the ground. Then I'll mount several bright white and red LED strobes so that they shine directly on those shiny wheels. Now you know why I call her Lightning Bug. The idea is to replace as many gasoline-powered trips in the company truck around the city at night as I can with a lot of fun, Dan-powered exercise. smiley: eek Full details and pictures of the restoration: http://1975continental.blogspot.com/search/label/1972%20Continental

*Posted at Poetic Constellations "Constellations Gateway" general poetry forum:  http://poeticconstellations.yuku.com/topic/61209/Sweet-Little-Lightning-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment