1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Friday, June 7, 2013

Used Connie To Keep In Downtown Chicago


I just bought a 1972 men's Schwinn Continental in orange, with good tires, tubes, brakes, cables, chain, etc, and a working generator light set. Dusty, a hint of rust, a few - very few - paint dings, original handle bar tape. $60.00 for the bike, $25.00 for front and rear LED flashers.

This bike was sitting in someone's garage for 30-35 years barely-used, and sold to the shop as a trade-in.

The chain & lock I bought for it cost me more than the bike.

I'm planning on keeping it at work and riding it around downtown Chicago for work in the middle of the night. I'll be looking for a rack and milk crate, and I'm going to tape up the chrome and decals, and do a custom fluorescent orange and blue paint job on it for visibility. (*Update - decided against this. I'll be painting the rear pannier rack fluorescent orange, but that's it. The rack is brand new and flat black. The original color on the bike is too pretty to mess up.*)

I know I can get an orange milk crate at the Container Store. (*Got the crate, $9.99) Where to get a rack... (*Got a rack from the same Schwinn shop that sold me the bike, $58.00 and 45lbs capacity.)

I'm going to shine up all the steel and chrome (*All shined) after, and mount LED flashers all over so they shine on the rims and chain guards. You'll see me riding for a country mile.

Ride on...

Oh, yeah - the same shop has a close twin to this bike, same price.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment