1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Friday, May 13, 2011

75 Schwinn Continental: More To The Flat Story...

Even with the new tire and tube, I couldn't get the tire to bead-seal on the rim. As soon as I got around 80 psi, the tire would slip off the rim and let the new tube peek out.

I tried slowly working it, but at 85, the tube blew again. The new tire is rated at 90 psi.

At this point, I decided to take the bike over to my favorite experts, Bicycles, Etc. Over on College Avenue in Lisle, Illinois.

The fellas at B.E. Hadn't seen the Connie since before I did all the rust removal and installed the generator lights. They were all shocked at the dramatic improvement in the Connie's condition.

The mechanics straightened the bead edges on the rim, and then installed a new inner tube. Worked like a charm. They also told me to keep the pressure under 70 psi due to the steel rims, despite the tire rating.

The other cool news? Bicycles, Etc. Started carrying Nutcase helmets one week ago, and they're selling like hotcakes.

Ride on,

Dan



No comments:

Post a Comment