1975 Schwinn Continental

1975 Schwinn Continental
This is the bike before most of the restoration work - click to view full-size

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

75 Schwinn Continental: My First Flat Of The Season...

...caught me flat-footed, so to speak.

I rode from Meyers & Butterfield in Oak Brook to North Avenue & I-355 in Lombard. (I think it's Lombard there.) I'm guessing that is eight miles one-way.

I stopped and had a veggie sandwich & un-sweetened ice tea at Jimmy John's, then started heading back.

I got about a mile & 1/2 away from home, started down a good hill at about 25 mph, and BOOM. I blew out my rear inner tube.

I had no pump or spare tube, so I had to walk the Connie home.

I happened to pass J & R Cycle & Ski on Main Street in Lombard on my way home, so I gave them a call when I got back, and sure enough, they fixed me up. I now have three spare inner tubes and a frame-mount hand pump.

I'll carry one spare tube and a couple of pens (to help get the tire on & off the rims) in the leather fanny pack shown. Eventually, I'll add a small bottle of peroxide and bandaids.

Still, 16 miles on my tenth ride of the season isn't bad.

Ride on,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment